-->

19 June 2018

Some Initial Placement Thoughts


Although my course doesn't have a dedicated sandwich year, getting work experience in the industry is widely encouraged.

I'm not someone who is particularly artistic in the literal sense of the word, and I'm also quite modest in the way I talk about my work, so experience is something that really gives you a boost when you're trying to sell yourself but not as 'loud' as others in the same field. Without it, I'd probably leave uni and have no real chance of getting a job related around my course, and that's what probably forced me to get my arse in gear when looking for experience.

This summer I will be volunteering for the communications team at my local hospice. The phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know" really came in to play when I was looking for a placement and I have been really fortunate with this opportunity. For starters, it was only my second attempt at finding something, it's also right on my doorstep so I'm not having to commute up to London every day, and it's not full time, meaning that I can work and earn money alongside (and try and get out of this hefty overdraft!).

I'm thinking of doing a comparison post at the end, in September, when I've made it out the other side, to see whether this opportunity has been a good step to further my career or simply just a learning curve. So I've written a few initial thoughts down to see whether I feel the same afterwards...

1. The job title, 'Social Media and Content Creator', and description has my name written all over it! So hopefully I will be able to learn some key skills which will point me in the right direction once I graduate. OR, it will prove that maybe it's not so perfect for me after all!

2. However, I am a bit worried they have this preconceived idea that I'm a social media/content expert and I'm going to majorly disappoint them!

3. I'm also worried about meeting so many different people, as I'm expected to travel around the different shops and carry out what is essentially primary research, which I've never been very good at. Although, it will come as good practise.

4. I'm excited about the amount of freedom I have within the role and I hope this will increase my confidence in the work I produce, which I can then bring into third year.

5. The idea of having to drive around to different locations, in an area I'm only slightly familiar with, and having to find somewhere to park without making a complete tit out of myself is terrifying! Things like that give me such anxiety and I can guarantee I will be about 20 minutes early every day!




No comments:

Post a Comment