-->

4 October 2017

Cows & Cream


Over the past few months, I've been working on my summer brief, whereby I had to choose a topic and research it in depth, in preparation for Year 2.

The topic I chose was ice cream. You may be puzzled. And when I saw what everyone was else was doing (e.g. athleisure, illustration, gender neutral, etc), I was puzzled about why I chose ice cream too. 

BUT over the summer I was working full time on a farm, selling ice cream from a vintage ice cream bike, and that's where the idea came from. I was originally thinking of looking at symbolism and how different images and icons can connote different things. For example, how ice cream is a symbol for summer and fun and happiness. However, after thinking about it, I realised that ice cream can be an umbrella topic in itself. I could look at the different colour palettes that you can associate with ice cream and dessert parlours, and I could also look at consumer behaviours and trends, and that's how I could link it to FCP. 


I wasn't sure where to begin at the start. I compiled a list of questions that I could ask different ice cream parlours for primary research, but whoever I emailed never responded and when I actually visited one they told me they were too busy. 

But over time, I collected quite a bit more information that I was expecting and it even turned out that ice cream had somewhat influenced the last fashion week! That, plus the Museum of Ice Cream being such a success, proved to me that ice cream really was culturally relevant. 


To complete my project, I created a mini digital zine, which briefly covers what I've been doing and what I found out. I will leave the link for that just here... 


Georgia.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment