-->

18 February 2017

9/11 Museum



During our time in New York, we visited the 9/11 memorial and museum. At the time of the attacks, I was only 3 years old, so I never really understood the emotion and devastation that was caused on the 11th September 2001.

As soon as you walk into the museum you begin to understand, though. You begin by seeing the foundations and the steel work of the towers, as well as a photo presentation accompanied by memories of the spectators. It all set me off from the word go!

You then see the missing posters of family members and friends projected onto the wall, before you go down alongside where the original set of stairs were where the survivors went to escape. At the bottom of the stairs the space is open and somewhat eery, but along the left hand side wall is a collection of tiles, each coloured in a different shade of blue, relating to what the survivors and spectators remember the colour of the sky being, along with the quote "No day shall brase you from the memory of time".

You then get to walk into a room with pictures of those who didn't survive covering the walls, and then the next rooms follow the time line of the events and actual items, garments and vehicles that were involved in the attacks. This is the point where it actually hit me that these were actual people who's lives were taken and the sheer size of the attacks. I obviously knew it was real, but you kind of start to relate a bit more. What if it was my parents? Harry? My friends? Or me...

I don't think anyone will ever understand the mental health of the people who are willing to carry out attacks like this, but I know that everyone prays that, even in this unjust world, nothing like this will ever happen again.

Georgia.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment