-->

20 April 2017

Burnout


I don't know how to start this other than at the beginning. And making you aware that this is going to be a rambly post.

Since starting uni in October, I've pretty much been working flat out for 6 months. Whether that's project work, blogging, or even just going to the gym, I literally had not stopped until the beginning of April. I then gave myself a two week break over Easter, thinking I deserved it, but then the feeling of guilt quickly rushed upon me.

I didn't bring my sketchbook or any text books home with me, and I started to panic because I could see all my course mates putting their work up on social media and I just wasn't doing any of that. But then I had a bit of an epiphany. Why did I feel so guilty?

By the end of term 2 I was burning out. I was starting to miss lectures and seminars, getting lazy with the work I was producing and I was making excuses for myself to not go to the gym, whereas before I had got pretty good at going 3-4 times a week. FCP is me all over and the little routine I'd developed had become second nature; you know it's time for a break when even the things you love and enjoy  start to become uninteresting.

Over the last two weeks I haven't thought about uni or work or blogging or anything like that at all. I probably shouldn't be admitting that, but it's true! Those really sunny days we had I spent the whole time outside. I didn't spend all morning lounging around, I actually got out of bed early and there is honestly not a better feeling than knowing that you've made the most of the day. I took long walks over the cliffs with Harry, we went to the cinema, had a picnic on the beach and we even watched High School Musical (1 AND 2) for the first time in about 10 years! I sat in pub gardens with a cider, me and Dad went on the i360 in Brighton, I drove on the motorway for the first time, spent Easter with my family and yesterday we celebrated Harry's 19th birthday. It's the little things that count and it's been the break I needed.


I arrived back in Nottingham last night in a panic with a whole load of stuff to do, but I honestly don't care. I'm excited about the new term and I'd rather be that then bawling my eyes out and coming back even more tired that when I left. I've got a nice long list of things that I need to focus on and do over the next few weeks and I'm determined to finish this term (and year) on a high - WHERE has the time gone?!?!

There's a lot of exciting stuff coming up over the next few weeks including a lecture from Alexandra Schulman (literally going to be starstruck), photo shoots for the next part of the fragrance project, my birthday and the surprise trip I've organised for Harry's birthday! Lots of juicy content!

Georgia.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment