-->

25 April 2017

Taking Influences From Fashion Photographers

(@galerieslafayette)

Yesterday's lecture was a run through of fashion photographers, who had been categorised in order of their key elements, for example, composition, surrealists, colour and realists. We looked at the likes of Terry Richardson, Nick Knight, Erwin Blumenfeld and George Hoyningen-Huene, to name just a few. 

Last night I found this image on the Galeries Lafayette Instagram page, advertising a Louis Pion watch, and it got me thinking. It presents some of the key elements that we looked at and I thought about which elements would have been at the top of the list in terms of the photographers priorities in capturing the image. Although colour is definitely at the top and takes up the whole frame, I can't help but think prop is just slightly above that, because it's not just the watch - you've also got the blinds in the foreground. 

It's clear that whoever took this photo was influenced by photographers such as Guy Bourdin (one of my favourites) and Mert and Marcus, due to their pop-art style colour palettes and cropped compositions. 

I really like this image, because colour and composition are two elements that really stand out to me and I am intrigued by, pretty much ever since I went to the Guy Bourdin exhibition a few years ago at Somerset House. I've been looking at other images on the Louis Pion instagram page and it seems like a lot of their images use quite pastel and neutral tones, although, similarly to this image, they are still block colours. Having an image which contrasts to previous imagery, such as this one, is sort of refreshing and shows that the brand is up for experimenting and developing their aesthetic. 

Georgia.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment