-->

6 January 2018

The Start of 2018


On the 31st of December, Harry and I travelled up to London to see the new year in. With 2017 not being a year I particularly wanted to hang on to, there seemed no better way than to see it out in the best way possible. 


As you can see in the picture above, we managed to get the perfect spot. We were directly opposite the Eye and the tower block where the countdown is projected on to. You can also probably see the vast numbers of people, which in any other situation would probably have caused me major anxiety, but I am so grateful that I managed to enjoy it all without one single anxious thought. I would like 2018 to continue that way.


If there's one thing I absolutely love, it's fireworks. Every time I watch a fireworks display, big or small, I stand there speechless. Obviously this one was absolutely huge, so I was in complete awe. I would recommend that you go and watch these fireworks at least once in your life; the tickets are only £10 and the atmosphere provides warm feeling of togetherness, wherever you come from.


We spent the night in the Tower Bridge Travelodge, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best location as we were at the opposite end of the embankment to watch the fireworks. However it was really comfortable and gave us the rest we needed after such a long day.


Afresh from the night before, we headed to Trafalgar Square to watch the New Years Day Parade. The parade starts at Piccadilly, by Green Park, and goes down Regent's Street, heading towards Pall Mall. It then goes down Pall Mall into Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross), before going down Whitehall and finishes up at Westminster. Again, I would 100% attending the parade, and if you want guaranteed viewing, try and get there just before it starts (even as late as 5 minutes before), and stand between each "sight", rather than at them. We went to Charing Cross but it was packed, so we walked towards New Zealand House and got right up to the barrier.


This years theme was 'Showtime', and from old cars to stuntmen, and marching bands from US high schools to cultural dancers, there was a whole variety of participants, from all walks of life. 


As we all know, a new year is about putting the past behind you and starting fresh, which feels ever more so poignant with the year starting on a Monday. Other than going to Berlin next week, I don't really having anything planned for 2018, so I'm not going to worry too much about what I want to happen and just let it roll out as it comes, taking each day with fresh eyes.


In terms of goals and resolutions, I just want to improve myself in order to improve my mental health. I'm halfway through my degree now - doesn't time fly?! - so I just need to keep on going. 2019  is going to be a big year, so my main aim this year is to save up enough money for me and Harry to travel to somewhere really nice to celebrate everything that's happening. We would love to go to Mexico, and at this stage it seems unrealistic, but I'm determined not to settle for second best!

Back to this year though! I'm looking forward to it, and I hope it brings you all happiness.

Georgia.xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment