-->

18 January 2017

New York, New York!


As you may already know by a very excited previous post and my Instagram, I went to New York last week with FCP. I've been dreaming about the day I go to NYC for as long as I can remember and then it's been and gone within a flash! I had the best week and, without sounding too cliche, it couldn't have been more perfect. 

When we first got there it had snowed and it was about -4C, which isn't the greatest of weather's when it bites you in the face. It did gradually warm up though, with Thursday being 16 degrees - we were literally peeling the layers off like an onion. 

On the first night, we headed straight for Times Square and had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe (BEST BURGERS EVER BY THE WAY), before realising that it was way too cold and we were way too tired to carry on much longer. On Tuesday, we strolled up 5th Avenue, visiting the library, various shops, the cathedral, the Rockefeller Centre and Central Park. Central Park was absolutely beautiful in the snow and we went to the zoo too! Then we took the Subway to Chelsea, where we visited the Chelsea Food Market, which I highly recommend. Then on Wednesday we had a tour of the Garment District, I ate the BEST smoked salmon bagel and we walked down to Greenwich in the afternoon. Thursday involved even more walking as we took the ferry to Williamsburg (my future home), had a bit of a wonder and then to Brooklyn, before walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. On Friday we tried to pack in the last few bits such as the F.I.T Black Fashion Designers exhibit and the 9/11 Museum, which was deeply moving and we all came out all teary. 

We stayed in the Hotel Wolcott on 4 West 31st Street, which is over 100 years old so has some quite old fashioned decor. Depending on what room you have, it can either be very old fashioned chic or actually quite haunted looking, but as the hotel goes in general, it was a lovely place to stay and they were even filing Gotham the day we were leaving! 

You definitely need more than a week or to go multiple times if you want to get everything done, and I mean both the landmarks, the shops and the different districts. On the other hand, we did do a lot of wondering about exploring rather than going straight to each bit. But it was everything that I expected it to be and more! 

Georgia.xo

No comments:

Post a Comment